Durham Region awarded broadband funding; partners with Vianet to deliver internet service
Whitby, Ontario – The Regional Municipality of Durham is pleased to announce that it has been awarded funding for a broadband expansion project to deliver fibre-to-the-premise (FTTP) technology to rural homes and businesses in 10 underserved communities across the region.
The funding has been provided from the federal and provincial governments to help achieve our vision for connectivity. Support is being provided from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada through the Universal Broadband Fund—a $3.225 billion fund supporting broadband infrastructure projects that bring high-speed internet to rural and remote households; and the Province of Ontario’s Improving Connectivity for Ontario program.
The Region, through its recently established broadband Municipal Services Corporation, Durham OneNet Inc., has partnered with Internet Service Provider (ISP), Vianet, as a private sector contributor, to deliver FTTP technology to businesses and residents.
Rural homes, businesses and institutions across 10 Durham Region communities will benefit from this project including: Ashburn (Balsam, Glen Major, Chalk Lake), Uxbridge (Silver Spring Crescent), Leaskdale (Victoria Corners), Sunderland (Blackwater), Greenbank (Saintfield), Manchester, Myrtle (Myrtle and Myrtle Station), Columbus, Raglan (Raglan and Shirley) and Courtice (south Courtice).
Design work for the project began in mid-2022 and construction began in November 2022. The project will be constructed in phases, with the final phase expected to be completed by December 2025. This project totals nearly $30 million of investment in Durham Region and will help bridge the digital divide.
To learn more about broadband, current projects, service providers and more, please visit DurhamOneNet.ca.
“Residents and businesses in Durham Region have made it clear that they need high-speed broadband connectivity. The Region is proud to partner with the provincial and federal governments to fund further development of broadband infrastructure in Durham. This project, delivered by Durham OneNet Inc., will help connect residents, farms and businesses in rural areas with the essential high-speed services they need to live, work and thrive in Durham.”
– John Henry, Regional Chair and Chief Executive Officer, The Regional Municipality of Durham
“Access to fast, reliable and affordable internet is required by every part of society to improve the way we live, learn, do business and create and consume content. We are thrilled to receive funding for this critical project to better connect and service residents and businesses in Durham Region.”
– Paul Frizado, President, Durham OneNet Inc.
“Vianet is extremely excited about this opportunity to partner with Durham Region and Durham OneNet Inc. on this expansive fibre optic network build in the rural area of Durham. We look forward to moving this project along to give those homes and businesses access to high-speed internet they so desperately need.
This is a great example of how a municipal government along with private industry can work together to upgrade essential infrastructure for the future of smaller Ontario communities. We thank Durham Region, Durham OneNet Inc., and all those involved who have worked so hard over the past months to bring this project forward and we are eager to ramp up construction and get customers hooked up."
– Will Gasteiger, President, Vianet Inc.
- In 2019, Durham Region launched the Durham Region Broadband Strategy – Connecting our Communities to bridge the digital divide and bring Durham Region up-to-speed with some of the best-connected communities in the world.
- In February 2021, the Region of Durham secured partial funding from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP) to expand broadband fibre infrastructure between Uxbridge and Pickering. The Uxbridge-Pickering link created the backbone infrastructure necessary to facilitate high-speed broadband to underserved areas.
- In December 2021, Regional Council endorsed the establishment of Durham OneNet Inc.—a wholly owned Municipal Services Corporation of the Region of Durham to build and operate a Regional Broadband Network.
- Durham OneNet Inc.’s mandate is to extend the Region’s fibre broadband network to underserved areas of Durham Region to enable improved broadband connectivity to residents, businesses and institutions, while delivering improved Regional services and driving economic development and innovation across Durham Region.
About Durham Region
Durham Region is—simply—more. Located on the eastern side of the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area, Durham is a region with momentum. Offering a competitive advantage like no other, Durham is a community where talented, smart, diverse and ambitious people—known for their innovation, creativity, skills and education—bring access to world markets, insights, invention and traditions. A place where an innovative ecosystem helps propel new ideas forward. Where ingenuity and industry help tackle global challenges. Visit durham.ca to learn more about one of Canada’s fastest growing communities.
– 30 –
For media requests, please contact CorporateCommunications@durham.ca.